Tuesday, August 30, 2011

DIY moulds & polymer clay tutorial


Hi!

I'm back with the tutorial I did for this magazine!



Okay...here we go! :)


So I bought this silicone putty at Etsy and decided to use some PTI buttons to make a moulds of.


Take two equal parts and mix them together.....very quickly.


I mean as quick as possible because the putty starts to dry as soon as you take it out of it's container...mix and make a ball.


Push the button into the putty. For this particular brand it says to let it stand for about 20 minutes to harden.


Then pop out the button...and you have your mould! :)



Take your polymer clay (I used Fimo), roll into a ball and press into the mould.


I usually have to add or take away some fimo for a perfect fit....you want the back as flat as possible so it will lay flat on your project.


With this silicone putty you can bake the polymer clay in the mould...what I usually do is put it in the freezer for a minute and the polymer clay pops out and then I bake it....saves time to do it this way if you want to make more than one button.


I then threaded the button with bakers twine and added a big glue dot on the back to adhere it to my card.


I also used Hero Arts Clouds stamp and a SRM sticker for this card. This card reminds me to relax, chill....don't stress....everything I need I already have....my family and our health. :)


All three buttons on this card I made using moulds I created from the buttons above (all PTI buttons).


If you have any questions please ask...it's pretty easy and fun! :)
xo

Pin It!

11 comments:

~amy~ said...

FABulous Jane....love the card!

Lin said...

Wonderful tutorial, Jane - you make it look easy! Love the results! And you are so right about already having everything that we need in life - love your card!

Kelly Booth said...

Wonderful Tute Jane...you know I love your buttons!!! Love the card too.....

Deirdre said...

So adorable Jane - went out to get the magazine yesterday and no sign of it in the store...w ill check again in the next few days. Congrats to yourself and Mariana on the tutorials.

Enjoy the last few days of summer, hugs, Dee

Helle said...

great tutorial!!!! im gonna try this:)

Virginia L. said...

How FABULOUS! Love the card AND the tutorial!

Michelle said...

Thanks, Jane! I might have to give this a go, it LOOKS like it might be within my ability, LOL! You make such cute buttons.
Michelle.

leslie (crookedstamper) said...

THANK YOU! I've tried making molds with clay and baking them, but this looks way easier. I have this stuff in my shopping cart ... online ... somewhere. Now I just need to BUY it!

Nancy K said...

thanks for sharing your secret to those fabulous buttons....you made a really easy to follow tutorial and I plan to give it a try. Love your card too!

NatQuebec said...

wow thanks for this great idea !

Anonymous said...

Can we use porceline clay instead of polymer Clay? ?.is the mold Flexible!